Charles Koch University Funding Database
This interactive database allows users to find grant information between Koch private foundations and colleges and universities. Greenpeace found that from 2005-2013, the Koch brothers have spent over $68 million on 308 colleges and universities (updated from initial report finding of $50 million to 254 schools, 2005-2012). Data is sourced from 990 IRS tax filings provided by the Charles Koch Foundation, the Charles Koch Institute, the Fred C. and Mary R. Koch Foundation, and the now-defunct Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundation.
Before, and since, Greenpeace's 2014 report documenting Charles Koch and Academic Freedom issues on Koch-funded campuses, commentary has amassed from students and professors on impacted campuses, in addition to analyses from reporters, bloggers and researchers.
- Koch and Academic Freedom - University of Illinois Professor John K. Wilson, Academe, American Association of University Professors (AAUP), 2015.
- Stacking Influence at Taxpayer Expense - Wright State University Professor Martin Kich, Ph.D, for AAUP Ohio Chapter, 2015.
- AAUP Expresses Strong Concern Over Renaming GMU Law School and Issues of Shared Governance, Anita Levy, Ph.D, Associate Secretary, American Association of University Professors, 2016.
- FSU Progress Coalition: Some Substantial Changes Have Been Made to the University’s Donor Policy - Wright State University Professor Martin Kich, Ph.D, for AAUP Ohio Chapter, 2015.
- KU supports faculty members’ rights - Bernadette Gray-Little, Kansas University Chancellor, 2015.
- Academic Integrity - Kansas University professor Ron Barrett-Gonzales, Ph.D, for AAUP Kansas Chapter, 2014.
- AAUP Supports Students' Request - Kansas University professor Ron Barrett-Gonzales, Ph.D, 2014.
- FSU learns from Koch association - Florida State University professor Ray Bellamy and professor emeritus Kent Miller, 2014.
- FSU should be proud of My View by students - Florida State University professor emeritus Marc E. Freeman, 2014.
- Fine Print, Restrictive Grants, and Academic Freedom - Florida State University professor Ray Bellamy (M.D.) and professor emeritus Kent Miller, 2012.
Florida State University (FSU):
- Progress Coalition report uncovers alleged violation of university donor policy - Joseph Zaballos, FSU News, 2015.
- Koch-funded positions raise serious concerns - Lakey, Tallahassee Democrat, 2015.
- Reply to John Thrasher on Koch agreements and Transparency at FSU - Lakey, FSU Progress Coalition, 2015.
- BOG approves Thrasher, protests continue - Alexander Browning, FSU News, 2014.
- Free FSU search from corporate influence - Ralph Wilson, Lakey, Regina Joseph, and Zachary Schultz, Tallahassee Democrat, 2014.
- Don't let Koch hurt academic integrity - Jerry Funt, Gladys Nobriga, Lissa Reed and Ralph WIlson, Tallahassee Democrat, 2014.
George Mason University (GMU):
- “Ask Dr.Cabrera” forum centers on Koch donations - Ellen Glickman, GMU Fourth Estate, 2015.
- Student Response to President Cabrera Evading Call for Transparency - Colin Nackerman & Samantha Parsons, Shadow Proof, 2014.
- A Letter to President Cabrera - Samantha Parsons, GMU Fourth Estate, crossposted to We Are Powershift, 2014.
George Washington University (GW):
- A heightened need for transparency surrounding controversial gifts - Kinjo Kiema, GW Hachet, 2014.
- $100,000 donation from Koch brothers supported research fellowships, internships at GW - Nicole Licata, GW Hachet, 2014.
- Koch ties to KU concern students - Schuyler Kraus, Lawrence Journal-World, 2014.
- Students defend information request - Schuyler Kraus, Lawrence Journal-World, 2014.
Ohio State University (OSU):
Koch brothers’ $500K pledge brings questions - Robert Scarpintino, the Lantern, 2015.
Penn State University (PSU):
- The Blurred Lines of Academic Freedom - Nicole Keller, PSU Presidential Leadership Academy, 2015.
- http://www.koch.edu - Liam K. Neigh, PSU Presidential Leadership Academy, 2015.
- Koch brothers affect donations to universities - Melanie Bruesseler, the Daily Collegian, 2015.
Suffolk Republicans meet with head of Koch Free Zone - Heather Rutherford, Suffolk Journal, 2014.
Staff Editorial: Suffolk needs transparency on monetary gifts - Suffolk Journal, 2014.
Alumna asks for transparency on donated money - Melissa Hanson, Suffolk Journal, 2014.
Koch Funding of Universities Shrouded In Secrecy - Kalin Jordan (alumna), Moyers & Company, 2015.
Money Can Buy Anything, Even Science - Kalin Jordan (alumna), US News & World Report, 2015.
Koch Influence over Higher Education - Kalin Jordan (alumna), Daily Kos, 2014.
University of Dayton (UD):
- Funding From The Koch Brothers Is At Odds With University Of Dayton’s Values - Jay Riestenberg (alumnus), the Punderbund, 2014.
University of Maryland, College Park (UMd):
- Financial influence in academia - by Chris Bangert-Drowns, The Diamondback, 2015.
University of Pennsylvannia (U-Penn):
- The Koch Foundation funds a lecture series at Penn - by Dan Spinelli, The Daily Pennsylvannian, 2015.
Utah State University (USU):
- Examining the Koch Scholars Program - Brenna Kelly, The Utah Statesman, 2014.
- Charles Koch's Unique Definition of Academic Freedom - Valerie Strauss, Washington Post, 2014.
- Students fight to expose Koch influence - Rachel Maddow Show, MSNBC, 2015.
- Groups Warn Of Dangers With Funding Of Universities By Koch Brothers - Frank Morris, National Public Radio (NPR) and KCUR, 2014.
- Koch Money on Campus: Who's Getting Grants and For What? - Ade Adeniji, Inside Philanthropy, 2015.
- 'UnKoch My Campus' Protests Spread Across Nation - Chloe Sorvino, Forbes, 2014.
- Students Nationwide Protest Corporate Influence on Universities - Brian Lawver, US News & World Report University Directory, 2014.
- Koch Foundation Buys Academic Slots - Marjorie Heins, Academe, 2014.
- How Much Control Should Higher Ed Donors Have Over How Schools Spend Their Money? - David Callahan, Inside Philanthropy, 2014.
- Not Interested in Koch Money - Colleen Flaherty, Inside Higher Ed, 2014.
- Inside the Koch brothers' campus crusade - Dave Levinthal, Center for Public Integrity, 2014.
- Rachel Maddow: Charles Koch buying sway over university hires is ‘objectively insane’ - Arturo Garcia, RawStory, 2013.
- Universities under threat from corporate money - Paul Heise, Lebanon Daily News, 2015.
- Koch Fueling Far Right Academic Centers At Universities Across The Country - Lee Fang, ThinkProgress, 2011.
- Not Just Florida State - Dan Berrett, Inside Higher Ed, 2011.
- Charles Koch's Assault on Academic Freedom - Andy Kroll, Mother Jones, 2011.
- Sex, the Koch Brothers and Academic Freedom - Stanley Fish, New York Times Opinionator blog, 2011.
Arizona State University (ASU):
When universities sell their souls, why do they have to sell so cheaply? - Michael Hiltzik, Los Angeles Times, 2014.
Big news out of Koch Brothers University...ah...ASU - EJ Montini, Arizona Republic, 2015.
Koch-backed study endorses Ducey's Arizona school-funding Plan, Mary Jo Pitzl, 2015.
ASU (read: Koch) lauds Ducey's school plan, Laurie Roberts, 2015.
Catholic University of America (CUA):
- Controversial Koch brothers give big (again) to Catholic University - David Gibson, Religion News Service, 2015.
- The Catholic University of America accepts more money from Charles Koch Foundation - Vince Rotondaro, National Catholic Reporter, 2015.
- Can Koch Money Come To Campus Without a Fight? Ask Catholic University - Jack Grauer, Inside Philanthropy, 2014.
- 50 educators sign letter to Catholic University protesting Koch Foundation’s $1 million gift - Michelle Boorstein, 2013.
Of two minds on economics: Does teaching at Creighton institute contradict Catholic social thought? - Steve Jordan, Omaha Herald, 2014.
Florida State University (FSU):
- Koch foundation proposal to college: Teach our curriculum, get millions - Dave Levinthal, Center for Public Integrity, 2014.
- University responds to Progress Coalition report - David Walker, Editor-in-Chief, FSU News, 2015.
- FSU stands for ‘For Sale University’ - James Carville, The Hill, 2015.
- FSU foes point to John Thrasher's ties to Koch brothers - Tia Mitchell, Tampa Bay Times, 2014.
- Koch brothers sought say in academic hiring in return for university donation - Ed Pilkington, The Guardian, 2014.
- How The Koch Brothers Corrupted Florida State University (+163 Other Colleges) - The Young Turks, 2014.
George Mason University (GMU):
- Professor at Koch-funded university department calls for ‘less democracy’ - Zaid Jilani, RawStory, 2015.
- Koch High: How The Koch Brothers Are Buying Their Way Into The Minds Of Public School Students - Christina Wilkie & Joy Resmovits, Huffington Post, 2014.
- Markets and Morality: Koch brothers foundation bankrolls Hope College student group - Brian McVicar, Grand Rapids Press, 2014.
Kansas University (KU):
- Student’s motion in Hall v. KU case trumpets ‘academic transparency’ - Sara Shepherd, Lawrence Journal-World, 2015.
- Letter: Contradiction - Joseph Harrington, Lawrence Journal-World, 2015.
- Academic freedom: Scholarly concept sparks lively mainstream debate - Sara Shepherd, Lawrence Journal-World, 2015.
- Editorial: Academic rights - Lawrence Journal-World, 2015.
- Open Records and Academic Freedom Come to a Head in Kansas - Kaitlin Mulhere, Inside Higher Ed, 2015.
- Kansas academic petitions judge to keep Koch brothers correspondence sealed - Ed Pilkington, The Guardian, 2014.
- What is Art Hall, the KU lecturer with ties to Koch Industries, afraid might come out in a massive records request? - Steve Vockrodt, Kansas City Pitch, 2014.
Mississippi State University (MSU):
- Koch foundation to give money to MSU market studies center - Jeff Amy, Associated Press, 2015.
Pepperdine Professor Investigated by Congressman - Emily Sawicki, Mailbu Times, 2015.
- Free-market research group's climate proposal denounced by host university - Suzanne Goldenberg, The Guardian, 2013.
- BHI defends funding despite Suffolk alum’s petition: No Koch money - Alex Hall and Ally Thibault, Suffolk Journal, 2013.
- How the Koch brothers’ greenback influences green jobs, clean energy debate - Diane Russell, Bangor Daily News, 2014.
University of Arizona (UA):
Freedom's Ring:The mysterious funding behind a new UA philosophy think tank continues to raise concerns - Tim Vanderpool, Tuscon Weekly, 2011.
University of Louisville (U of L):
- University of Louisville’s Major Gift from Pizza CEO, Koch Comes With Caveat - James McNair, Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting, 2015.
- University of Louisville Releases Details on Major Gift From Papa John’s CEO, Koch Foundation - James McNair, Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting, 2015.
University of Maryland, College Mark (UMd):
- Maryland business school to receive $6 million donation - Ellie Silverman, The Diamondback, 2014.
Utah State University (USU):
- Newsweek adds disclosure about Koch ties of professor who wrote anti-wind power piece - Eric Wemple, Washington Post Wemple blog, 2015.
- Don’t ask, don’t tell - Kansas City Star editorial, 2015.
- Kansas Senate chairman cuts off questions about Koch funding at energy hearing - Bryan Lowry, Wichita Eagle, 2015.
- Wind power blows past distortions of fossil-fueled opponents - David Jenkins and Andrew Fales, Salt Lake Tribune, 2015.
- USU business school courts billionaire ideologue - Brian Maffly, 2010
West Virginia University (WVU):
- WVU business center partly funded by Kochs - Paul J. Nyden, Charlotte Gazette, 2014.
- Activists Ramp Up Efforts to Sweep the Koch Brothers Off College Campuses - Mary Ellen Flannery, National Education Association's NEA Today, 2015.
- University, Inc. - Virginia Myers, American Federation of Teachers (AFT), 2015.
- George Mason University President to Charles Koch: "I am nothing but incredibly grateful" - Connor Gibson, Daily Kos, 2015.
- A Web Of Climate Deception: The Beacon Hill Institute, Richard Berman, And The State Policy Network - Denise Robbins and Andrew Seifter, Media Matters, 2015.
- Cookie-cutter Koch study in North Carolina still suffers from same errors, plus some new ones - Michael Goggin, American Wind Energy Association (AWEA), 2015.
- KOCH POLLUTION ON CAMPUS: Academic Freedom Under Assault from Charles Koch's $50 million Campaign to Infiltrate Higher Education - Connor Gibson and Lindsey Berger, Greenpeace USA, 2014.
- Koch University: Rewriting Your Education - from Koch Brothers Exposed 2014 Edition, Brave New Films.
- Kiss Academic Freedom Goodbye: The Koch Brothers Invade College Campuses - posted by American Bridge, 2015.
- Strata & Utah State University's Institute for Political Economy - posted by Energy & Policy Institute, 2015.
- Academic Freedom for Sale - Cheap - Jim Hightower, Truth-Out, 2011.
PolluterWatch profile: Charles Koch
SourceWatch has more information on Koch money at Universities and Academic Freedom implications.