Charles Koch University Funding Database
This interactive database allows users to find grant information between Koch private foundations and colleges and universities. Greenpeace found that from 2005-2013, the Koch brothers have spent over $68 million on 308 colleges and universities (updated from initial report finding of $50 million to 254 schools, 2005-2012). Data is sourced from 990 IRS tax filings provided by the Charles Koch Foundation, the now-defunct Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundation, and the Fred C. and Mary R. Koch Foundation.
SourceWatch has more information on Koch money at Universities and Academic Freedom implications..
Before, and since, Greenpeace's 2014 report documenting Charles Koch and Academic Freedom issues on Koch-funded campuses, commentary has amassed from students and professors on impacted campuses, in addition to analyses from reporters, bloggers and researchers.
- Koch and Academic Freedom - University of Illinois Professor John K. Wilson, Academe, American Association of University Professors (AAUP), 2015.
- Stacking Influence at Taxpayer Expense - Wright State University Professor Martin Kich, Ph.D, for AAUP Ohio Chapter, 2015.
- AAUP Expresses Strong Concern Over Renaming GMU Law School and Issues of Shared Governance, Anita Levy, Ph.D, Associate Secretary, American Association of University Professors, 2016.
- FSU Progress Coalition: Some Substantial Changes Have Been Made to the University’s Donor Policy - Wright State University Professor Martin Kich, Ph.D, for AAUP Ohio Chapter, 2015.
- KU supports faculty members’ rights - Bernadette Gray-Little, Kansas University Chancellor, 2015.
- Academic Integrity - Kansas University professor Ron Barrett-Gonzales, Ph.D, for AAUP Kansas Chapter, 2014.
- AAUP Supports Students' Request - Kansas University professor Ron Barrett-Gonzales, Ph.D, 2014.
- FSU learns from Koch association - Florida State University professor Ray Bellamy and professor emeritus Kent Miller, 2014.
- FSU should be proud of My View by students - Florida State University professor emeritus Marc E. Freeman, 2014.
- Fine Print, Restrictive Grants, and Academic Freedom - Florida State University professor Ray Bellamy (M.D.) and professor emeritus Kent Miller, 2012.
Florida State University (FSU):
- Progress Coalition report uncovers alleged violation of university donor policy - Joseph Zaballos, FSU News, 2015.
- Koch-funded positions raise serious concerns - Lakey, Tallahassee Democrat, 2015.
- Reply to John Thrasher on Koch agreements and Transparency at FSU - Lakey, FSU Progress Coalition, 2015.
- BOG approves Thrasher, protests continue - Alexander Browning, FSU News, 2014.
- Free FSU search from corporate influence - Ralph Wilson, Lakey, Regina Joseph, and Zachary Schultz, Tallahassee Democrat, 2014.
- Don't let Koch hurt academic integrity - Jerry Funt, Gladys Nobriga, Lissa Reed and Ralph WIlson, Tallahassee Democrat, 2014.
George Mason University (GMU):
- “Ask Dr.Cabrera” forum centers on Koch donations - Ellen Glickman, GMU Fourth Estate, 2015.
- Student Response to President Cabrera Evading Call for Transparency - Colin Nackerman & Samantha Parsons, Shadow Proof, 2014.
- A Letter to President Cabrera - Samantha Parsons, GMU Fourth Estate, crossposted to We Are Powershift, 2014.
George Washington University (GW):
- A heightened need for transparency surrounding controversial gifts - Kinjo Kiema, GW Hachet, 2014.
- $100,000 donation from Koch brothers supported research fellowships, internships at GW - Nicole Licata, GW Hachet, 2014.
- Koch ties to KU concern students - Schuyler Kraus, Lawrence Journal-World, 2014.
- Students defend information request - Schuyler Kraus, Lawrence Journal-World, 2014.
Ohio State University (OSU):
Koch brothers’ $500K pledge brings questions - Robert Scarpintino, the Lantern, 2015.
Penn State University (PSU):
- The Blurred Lines of Academic Freedom - Nicole Keller, PSU Presidential Leadership Academy, 2015.
- http://www.koch.edu - Liam K. Neigh, PSU Presidential Leadership Academy, 2015.
- Koch brothers affect donations to universities - Melanie Bruesseler, the Daily Collegian, 2015.
Suffolk Republicans meet with head of Koch Free Zone - Heather Rutherford, Suffolk Journal, 2014.
Staff Editorial: Suffolk needs transparency on monetary gifts - Suffolk Journal, 2014.
Alumna asks for transparency on donated money - Melissa Hanson, Suffolk Journal, 2014.
Koch Funding of Universities Shrouded In Secrecy - Kalin Jordan (alumna), Moyers & Company, 2015.
Money Can Buy Anything, Even Science - Kalin Jordan (alumna), US News & World Report, 2015.
Koch Influence over Higher Education - Kalin Jordan (alumna), Daily Kos, 2014.
University of Dayton (UD):
- Funding From The Koch Brothers Is At Odds With University Of Dayton’s Values - Jay Riestenberg (alumnus), the Punderbund, 2014.
University of Maryland, College Park (UMd):
- Financial influence in academia - by Chris Bangert-Drowns, The Diamondback, 2015.
University of Pennsylvannia (U-Penn):
- The Koch Foundation funds a lecture series at Penn - by Dan Spinelli, The Daily Pennsylvannian, 2015.
Utah State University (USU):
- Examining the Koch Scholars Program - Brenna Kelly, The Utah Statesman, 2014.
- Charles Koch's Unique Definition of Academic Freedom - Valerie Strauss, Washington Post, 2014.
- Students fight to expose Koch influence - Rachel Maddow Show, MSNBC, 2015.
- Groups Warn Of Dangers With Funding Of Universities By Koch Brothers - Frank Morris, National Public Radio (NPR) and KCUR, 2014.
- Koch Money on Campus: Who's Getting Grants and For What? - Ade Adeniji, Inside Philanthropy, 2015.
- 'UnKoch My Campus' Protests Spread Across Nation - Chloe Sorvino, Forbes, 2014.
- Students Nationwide Protest Corporate Influence on Universities - Brian Lawver, US News & World Report University Directory, 2014.
- Koch Foundation Buys Academic Slots - Marjorie Heins, Academe, 2014.
- How Much Control Should Higher Ed Donors Have Over How Schools Spend Their Money? - David Callahan, Inside Philanthropy, 2014.
- Not Interested in Koch Money - Colleen Flaherty, Inside Higher Ed, 2014.
- Inside the Koch brothers' campus crusade - Dave Levinthal, Center for Public Integrity, 2014.
- Rachel Maddow: Charles Koch buying sway over university hires is ‘objectively insane’ - Arturo Garcia, RawStory, 2013.
- Universities under threat from corporate money - Paul Heise, Lebanon Daily News, 2015.
- Koch Fueling Far Right Academic Centers At Universities Across The Country - Lee Fang, ThinkProgress, 2011.
- Not Just Florida State - Dan Berrett, Inside Higher Ed, 2011.
- Charles Koch's Assault on Academic Freedom - Andy Kroll, Mother Jones, 2011.
- Sex, the Koch Brothers and Academic Freedom - Stanley Fish, New York Times Opinionator blog, 2011.
Arizona State University (ASU):
When universities sell their souls, why do they have to sell so cheaply? - Michael Hiltzik, Los Angeles Times, 2014.
Big news out of Koch Brothers University...ah...ASU - EJ Montini, Arizona Republic, 2015.
Koch-backed study endorses Ducey's Arizona school-funding Plan, Mary Jo Pitzl, 2015.
ASU (read: Koch) lauds Ducey's school plan, Laurie Roberts, 2015.
Catholic University of America (CUA):
- Controversial Koch brothers give big (again) to Catholic University - David Gibson, Religion News Service, 2015.
- The Catholic University of America accepts more money from Charles Koch Foundation - Vince Rotondaro, National Catholic Reporter, 2015.
- Can Koch Money Come To Campus Without a Fight? Ask Catholic University - Jack Grauer, Inside Philanthropy, 2014.
- 50 educators sign letter to Catholic University protesting Koch Foundation’s $1 million gift - Michelle Boorstein, 2013.
Of two minds on economics: Does teaching at Creighton institute contradict Catholic social thought? - Steve Jordan, Omaha Herald, 2014.
Florida State University (FSU):
- Koch foundation proposal to college: Teach our curriculum, get millions - Dave Levinthal, Center for Public Integrity, 2014.
- University responds to Progress Coalition report - David Walker, Editor-in-Chief, FSU News, 2015.
- FSU stands for ‘For Sale University’ - James Carville, The Hill, 2015.
- FSU foes point to John Thrasher's ties to Koch brothers - Tia Mitchell, Tampa Bay Times, 2014.
- Koch brothers sought say in academic hiring in return for university donation - Ed Pilkington, The Guardian, 2014.
- How The Koch Brothers Corrupted Florida State University (+163 Other Colleges) - The Young Turks, 2014.
George Mason University (GMU):
- Professor at Koch-funded university department calls for ‘less democracy’ - Zaid Jilani, RawStory, 2015.
- Koch High: How The Koch Brothers Are Buying Their Way Into The Minds Of Public School Students - Christina Wilkie & Joy Resmovits, Huffington Post, 2014.
- Markets and Morality: Koch brothers foundation bankrolls Hope College student group - Brian McVicar, Grand Rapids Press, 2014.
Kansas University (KU):
- Student’s motion in Hall v. KU case trumpets ‘academic transparency’ - Sara Shepherd, Lawrence Journal-World, 2015.
- Letter: Contradiction - Joseph Harrington, Lawrence Journal-World, 2015.
- Academic freedom: Scholarly concept sparks lively mainstream debate - Sara Shepherd, Lawrence Journal-World, 2015.
- Editorial: Academic rights - Lawrence Journal-World, 2015.
- Open Records and Academic Freedom Come to a Head in Kansas - Kaitlin Mulhere, Inside Higher Ed, 2015.
- Kansas academic petitions judge to keep Koch brothers correspondence sealed - Ed Pilkington, The Guardian, 2014.
- What is Art Hall, the KU lecturer with ties to Koch Industries, afraid might come out in a massive records request? - Steve Vockrodt, Kansas City Pitch, 2014.
Mississippi State University (MSU):
- Koch foundation to give money to MSU market studies center - Jeff Amy, Associated Press, 2015.
Pepperdine Professor Investigated by Congressman - Emily Sawicki, Mailbu Times, 2015.
- Free-market research group's climate proposal denounced by host university - Suzanne Goldenberg, The Guardian, 2013.
- BHI defends funding despite Suffolk alum’s petition: No Koch money - Alex Hall and Ally Thibault, Suffolk Journal, 2013.
- How the Koch brothers’ greenback influences green jobs, clean energy debate - Diane Russell, Bangor Daily News, 2014.
University of Arizona (UA):
Freedom's Ring:The mysterious funding behind a new UA philosophy think tank continues to raise concerns - Tim Vanderpool, Tuscon Weekly, 2011.
University of Louisville (U of L):
- University of Louisville’s Major Gift from Pizza CEO, Koch Comes With Caveat - James McNair, Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting, 2015.
- University of Louisville Releases Details on Major Gift From Papa John’s CEO, Koch Foundation - James McNair, Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting, 2015.
University of Maryland, College Mark (UMd):
- Maryland business school to receive $6 million donation - Ellie Silverman, The Diamondback, 2014.
Utah State University (USU):
- Newsweek adds disclosure about Koch ties of professor who wrote anti-wind power piece - Eric Wemple, Washington Post Wemple blog, 2015.
- Don’t ask, don’t tell - Kansas City Star editorial, 2015.
- Kansas Senate chairman cuts off questions about Koch funding at energy hearing - Bryan Lowry, Wichita Eagle, 2015.
- Wind power blows past distortions of fossil-fueled opponents - David Jenkins and Andrew Fales, Salt Lake Tribune, 2015.
- USU business school courts billionaire ideologue - Brian Maffly, 2010
West Virginia University (WVU):
- WVU business center partly funded by Kochs - Paul J. Nyden, Charlotte Gazette, 2014.
- Activists Ramp Up Efforts to Sweep the Koch Brothers Off College Campuses - Mary Ellen Flannery, National Education Association's NEA Today, 2015.
- University, Inc. - Virginia Myers, American Federation of Teachers (AFT), 2015.
- George Mason University President to Charles Koch: "I am nothing but incredibly grateful" - Connor Gibson, Daily Kos, 2015.
- A Web Of Climate Deception: The Beacon Hill Institute, Richard Berman, And The State Policy Network - Denise Robbins and Andrew Seifter, Media Matters, 2015.
- Cookie-cutter Koch study in North Carolina still suffers from same errors, plus some new ones - Michael Goggin, American Wind Energy Association (AWEA), 2015.
- KOCH POLLUTION ON CAMPUS: Academic Freedom Under Assault from Charles Koch's $50 million Campaign to Infiltrate Higher Education - Connor Gibson and Lindsey Berger, Greenpeace USA, 2014.
- Koch University: Rewriting Your Education - from Koch Brothers Exposed 2014 Edition, Brave New Films.
- Kiss Academic Freedom Goodbye: The Koch Brothers Invade College Campuses - posted by American Bridge, 2015.
- Strata & Utah State University's Institute for Political Economy - posted by Energy & Policy Institute, 2015.
- Academic Freedom for Sale - Cheap - Jim Hightower, Truth-Out, 2011.
PolluterWatch profile: Charles Koch